Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Go Further

At this level we are talking about roles that usually need a qualification to degree or Level 5 and above. There are many roles in health and care when you would have a level of responsibility either in your specialist area or in a management or leadership capacity.
You may have decided to become a registered practitioner. This could be in nursing, one of the therapies, midwifery or social work. To become registered, you have to successfully complete a recognised and approved degree qualification. For example if you are a nurse or midwife, you would register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). Occupations such as social work, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, paramedics and many others, have to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Once registered, you have to undertake a certain amount of continuous professional development (CPD) to maintain your registration. This ensures that your skills are up to date and that you are competent to practice.
Alternative roles could be management when you would have qualifications such as the Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People’s Services or an Institute of Healthcare management qualification. There are a variety of management roles whether it is in Human Resources, Finance, Estates or Operational – the list can go on.  See Health Careers and ThinkCareCareers for further information on management roles.
If you are considering a career in these areas, but are not yet qualified to undertake the roles there are various sources of information that can enable you to consider your options.
Have a look at the profiles to see what the opportunities there are. This is only a sample, but they illustrate a variety of careers available.
If you don’t have experience of the health and care sectors you may consider volunteering or work experience to get a feel of what it’s like as well as developing your skills. Some universities will require you to have some relevant experiences – remember that communication skills, team work and skills with people are the important ones!
For information on which courses to take in health, medicine and social work, look at the Health Careers Course Finder to see what degree courses are accepted by the registered bodies. You would apply for these courses through UCAS. There may be some limited opportunities for part time study via such as the Open University, your local universities or your local colleges.
If you are working in the health and care fields and want to progress to practitioner level, you need to discuss your options at your appraisals. You need to discuss options to ensure you meet the entry requirements and to explore your study and funding options.
Many practitioners continue to develop their skills either through postgraduate study or via their professional organisations or employers. You never stop learning in health and care – it is vital to ensure that your clients or patients get the best possible treatment and care.